adaptive learning platform
Poor academic performance history, low engagement/relevance, adaptive learning supports success, contributes to persistence and speeds time to completion.
2 faculty are using it.
Blended on the 30:70 model was originally recommended, where the synchronous/f2f are reduced to 30% and 70% of the course content & interaction are conducted online & asynchronously. Ultimately as part of the project we left this decision up to the instructor.
Research says that blended learning is superior to F2F and fully online.
yes or no
learning analytics and early warning system.
At risk student behaviors for failure be identified and can be prevented with an Early alerts and intervention system.
Did the use of this tool support student success, persistence, completion.
Digital text books
all texts/content for the course are delivered exclusively digitally.-total cost to student not to exceed $30 - $50 for books and materials per course.
To reduce student costs.
ask students/faculty if they used.
Social networking Commons
online social networking support hub in conjunction with learning concierges and digital age librarians.
a social network provided for students will provide at-risk students with opportunities for peer support and interaction. The student commons with the learning concierges and librarians can proactively scaffold student self-regulation and student self-efficacy skils via proactive intervention, communications, supportive contact. It can address first generation student issues.
did they use it?
tool that allows users to visualize the network of interactions resulting from discussion forum posts and replies.
Identify disconnected (at risk) students and intervene. Promote student self-regulated learning strategies.
yes or no
Support student success. Provide off hour support.
we need to know if they used it and how much as closely as possible. and if it worked, helped.
- What degree program will be selected?
- Number of faculty? Up to 80 faculty and 80 courses need names depending on the program?
- Timing: Timeline: when? Simultaneously at same semester, or not. Or staggered.
- Who can randomly assign?
- Will it be within or between institutions?
- how do partner campuses place students in developmental courses?
- Do we need accuplacer, if Knewton already provides diagnostic assessments for placement purposes?
- If a tutoring service is already being used on the campus, how can we isolate the control group from the experimental group? does it have to be smart thinking? Do we need Smarthinking? Are you using smarthinking or another online tutoring services? We need to monitor and document what the threshold levels are. Business hour or off-hour tutoring that results in increased persistence and lower attrition. Can we monitor granularly to measure hypothetical benefits of treatments? who uses tutoring, when, how to draw conclusions.
- How do we measure and how do we know who used the interventions and at at what levels?
- Do the students get a job and how do we track that?
- In what program will you have sufficient numbers of students to do this study? Larger numbers of subjects greater the poser of hte design to see variences between the control and treatment groups.
- How do students choose a blended program before it exists?
- Student success/support services?
Ideal state vs. see what is realistic.
- The issues are success and persistence, supports will help, but we don’t know that
- In the ideal: Everyone does same thing and then we compare within and without institutions.
- However: Is a blended a program realistic? Does it exist? Can it be blended in a timely way so that we can test? Is there one program that is common program at all 4 campuses – eg, business.
- Issues: Starting a common program that doesn’t currently exist.
- Independent variables need to be tracked, how, frequency, etc. , grad assistant will monitor this stuff – who did what and what was the effect.
- Description of the research project.